WHAT is this: A colorful, healthy, zesty, flavorful and energizing lemon lentil soup with a generous serving of delicious brown rice and nutritional yeast.
WHY should you make this: Lentils are quick, cheap and easy to prepare and their nutritional value is off the charts (they’re also an amazing source of plant-based protein). Brown rice is high in manganese, a very important trace mineral, which is essential for a healthy nervous system. White rice doesn’t come close to the high nutritional value of brown rice, so let’s stick to the good stuff. And lemon juice is what makes this citrusy bowl of goodness a free radical fighting machine (you don’t want free radicals, those little bastards are obsessed with attacking your good cells). Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C (antioxidants that fight free radicals) so it’s a must for this hearty plant-powered meal.
HOW to make a lemon lentil soup: Soak 1 cup of lentils overnight or for a few hours after you get home from work. Make two cups of brown rice in your rice cooker ahead of time, the night before or in the morning before work. Every rice cooker is different so check your manual for brown rice settings. Here are the tools-equipment-stuff you’ll need to make this bowl of yum:
-large soup pot and large serving spoon
-measuring cup (1 cup)
-measuring spoons (1 tablespoon & 1 teaspoon)
-lemon zester (optional, you can use the small side of a grater or finely chop some lemon zest)
- 1 cup soaked lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, easiest if made in rice cooker
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 8cups filtered water
- ½ cup lemon juice (about 2-3 juicy lemons)
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- For garnish: lemon slices
- Make brown rice following instructions from rice cooker.
- Heat coconut oil in soup pot, add 5 chopped garlic cloves, chopped carrots, celery and onion and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except rice and nutritional yeast) and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. When ready to serve, remove bay leaves, add rice to a serving bowl followed by a serving of the lentil soup. Top with nutritional yeast and lemon slices.