There are so many ways to prepare a vegan tofu sandwich and I hope these photos and ingredient suggestions help get your creative juices flowing when you think of TOFU and sandwiches. I feel like every time I make a sandwich I end up experimenting with different ingredients (most of the time it works out well!) so don’t be afraid to add your own spin. Above all, don’t overthink it. Just pile up some veggies on a slice of bread with hummus and tofu and you’re good to go!
VEGAN TOFU SANDWICH
- 4 slices of sprouted whole wheat bread
- 1 large carrot shredded
- ½ cucumber sliced into thin rounds
- small handful of cherry tomatoes
- ½ avocado sliced
- 4 Tablespoons of hummus
- small handful of kale washed and dried
- small handful of sprouts
- a couple very thin slices of red onion
- ½ package of firm or extra firm organic tofu
- olive oil and sea salt to taste
- Drain tofu and press for a few minutes.
- Optional (and recommended): Grill tofu on grill pan & warm bread.
- Assemble sandwich starting with the hummus, then layer the other ingredients… all ingredients are optional and you can add other vegetables or flavored hummus. If the sandwich feels too dry you can add a bit of olive oil after adding the sprouts (I always sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top of olive oil for more flavor).